Monday, March 05, 2007

Weightlifting: Not Just for Meatheads

I've been pumping iron since the New Year to improve my life in the fitness department––and it's working. Amazingly, I've gained thirteen pounds of pure muscle, boosting the measure of my gravitational force to 168 Earth pounds (179 on Saturn).

The great thing about being male and thirty is that I am old enough to gain weight and young enough to see rapid body changes. I may not ever be a bona fide beefcake, but I am getting stronger and practicing discipline. There are other concomitant benefits.


Blinding Saturn
A NASA Cassini-Huygens spacecraft's photo of Saturn


I am breaking through the description my father gave of me during college, "You have the body of an academic." It was true, and I have to make some progress now before the black hole of of school swallows my free time next fall.

Speaking of Adonises, two of Saturn's moons are Titan and Atlas. Follow these links (link1 and link2) this to see some of the most beautiful images you have ever seen. How can something be so beautiful? What makes it so? There is something ineffable amongst the colors and shapes that captivates my imagination. The photos were taken just weeks ago!


4 comments:

Julia said...

Moving into middle age and finally understanding some of the "body" issues older people were always talking about is very interesting.

My-DC said...

Very interesting indeed. At this age, establishing good habits is one of the best ways to ensure a healthly life (i.e exercise, good diet, saving money, having fun).

Brian Campbell said...

My 30th b-day inspired me to get back to the gym in the new year too. I've been lifting three mornings a week - after I tow Ian to daycare behind my bike - trying to avoid the "body of an academic." I too am enjoying the quick results! So far, though, I haven't been inspired to blog in my thirties... but I enjoy yours.

My-DC said...

That's awesome Brian. Who'd a thought we'd be weightlifting. Look forward to seeing you.