Friday, April 27, 2007

SC Debate lastnight

I get excited by the hype of a Presidential debate. And believe it or not, its because I enjoyed seeing the wheels of democracy moving. All the candidates take their place and have a change to present themselves.

Obama
While I went into the debate inspired and excited by Obama, his performance was bland and deflating. With Kucinich and Dravel challenging the others with anti-war, anti-nuclear mandates, Obama seemed mainstream. He seemed like a jet that needed 100 yards to take off and only had 50. He seemed stiff and bland. He didn't hit his points hard or speak with impact. He wasn't inspiring or fresh––two characteristics that have spurred his popularity. I'd even go so far as to say he didn't strike me as presidential. I have to be honest, Clinton and Edwards were much more articulate and precise with their time.

Debates tell us somethings, but not everything. Maybe not even the most important things. I trust the Obama who wrote his two books. He is honest, compassionate, culturally wise, and courageous enough to do what is right. His campaign is about revolutionizing politics and the election process as much as it is about his candidacy. Even great athletes have sub par games.

Obama needs to get specific to hang. I have heard this criticism of him, but last night made me see it on my own. This was a good learning experience for him, and I think he will be much better in the future. He also would be much better with more time to respond and answer follow up questions. He couldn't really get into a flow.

The biggest frustration for me with Obama is his support of Ethanol. He comes from Illinois and I am sure he needs to support the corn farmers. But Ethanol is a loser when it comes to alternative energy. It's energy ratio is low, and it does not change the system. He did not tell Americans that they need to change their habits. He went on about planting the trees, which is great, but didn't recover well when asked about personal changes he has made. He needs to get on track with that. If you want to change the system, tell people to take the bus or open their windows when at home.

The debate did not solidify my support for Obama. Instead it introduced me to the candidates and left me open minded about who to support.

Clinton
Hillary had the best showing of anyone. She was by far the most presidential and the clearest speaker. She was skillful, intelligent, and strong. She didn't ask for any special treatment and didn't use her femininity at all. She stood up there with the boys and rocked it.

I can understand her position of giving the president the authority to go to war but not supporting his decision to go to war. However, as Chris Matthews points out, if that is what she really was doing, then why did it take so long for her to denounce Bush's war? That doesn't add up to me, and her communications director did not answer that question. He didn't know when she first spoke out against the war.

I think Hillary would be a capable president, of course. But she may be to savvy for her own good. I believe she will get health care reform through this time. I believe she will get us out of Iraq. I believe she will continue to improve the economy. But part of me feels like she will just continue the same old politics as usual. She knows how to play the system so well that I don't see her as inclined to change it.

Edwards
Edwards impressed me by speaking clearly and decisively. He is obviously comfortable behind the podium and he answered the critiques about his big house and expensive hair cut. Yes, he has money, but he doesn't come from money. And he remembers from where he came. Bashing him for making money makes no sense. Isn't that everyone's dream? He should be praised, not criticized, for taking advantage of what makes America great: the opportunity to move up in life.

Edwards could have pressed his poverty work stronger. He doesn't have the gravitas that Richardson or even Cheney have. I worry that he comes across as "light" because of that. He is honest and connected to what it means to be human. That I don't get from Hillary.

Richardson
He was Secretary of Energy and is the Governor of New Mexico. He's been nominated for four Nobel Peace Prizes for crying out loud!

Others quote experts, but he is one. The guys is a straight shooter. I trust his judgement on immigration and how to serve as executive. He gave specific ways to address our energy crisis, and he's the only executive up there. He has a serious change of being Vice President.

Aftermath
CNN's headline was "Democrats Hammer Bush." I am glad the big news is not that Obama flopped or Clinton stole the show. I think either one of those would be accurate.

We'll se what happens next.

Please comment below. I am very interested in your take on the debate or the candidates. You can respond as "anonymous" if you would like.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your insights about the debate. It seems like you had a very open mind while watching it. I appreciate your interest in politics--it makes me more interested, too. Keep on writing!